Friday, October 31, 2008

Beyond Squares

Alpaca Handwarmers, $24

I didn't plan what I was going to do during my weekly 'time-off'. Once a week, every Thursday night, I get to go away from the house. And relinquish my roles temporarily as a wife and mom.

I took off and decided to bring my knitting tote. It was after all Thursday I realized, knitting night with my friends at the bookstore.

Thinking about the weeks that passed, I started crocheting in squares. Amy, who was sitting besides me asked what I was going to make. 'I don't know yet.' I'm known to be 'the designer' in the group. A lover of free-form styles.

This week was a bit more difficult than the previous ones. Most blame the economy. For myself, it's the lack of time to wind down from our hectic schedules. I think about the moments we miss trying to provide for our families and focusing on what's wrong with our situations.

When Jean told me how pretty what I was making, I was back to reality from my deep thoughts. My little squares have evolved to be a pair of hand warmers. Life is like that I mused. Sometimes, you're boxed in, not knowing when you'll be out. It's what you do with that time that matters.

For mine, a neat pair of mittens. Perfect for the cool autumn strolls with my man and my little one.

What have you done with yours?

No comments: